Monday, December 29, 2008

Is Barack Really a Magic Negro?

Since the song 'Barack the Magic Negro' was included in a compilation CD by conservative comedian Paul Shanklin, the question comes to mind 'Is Barack Really a Magic Negro?'. This CD was given to RNC members as a gift from Republican National Committee member Chip Saltsman. What were they thinking?

Back to the question at hand, is Barack really a magic Negro? I would have to say that I have not seen actual physical evidence of this as of yet. However, I never thought I would see a black President in my lifetime. (This was somewhat magical) Did I have too little faith in America or did I just witness magic in this last election cycle. Is it magic that he came from a single mom family and got elected as President of the United States?

The real magic will start on January 20, 2009. With the economy seemingly in the tank, will Barack be able to pull a rabbit out of his hat (or other hiding place)? Will he be able to keep the extreme left wing of his party happy when he ends up being more centrist and signs no meaningful legislation in the next two years? Will the press just magically keep accepting every explanation without investigation as they have done for the last year? That would be real magic.

I would say that I do not prescribe to the theory that Barack is a Magic Negro. However, he does have the potential to grow into the role. By the way I have a question that no one seems to want to answer, If Barack Obama is half black and half white why is he only referred to as black? Doesn't this seem a slight bit racist, the old theory that it only takes a little coffee to soil the cream. Why can't Barack be referred to as he is? A person of mixed race heritage. Will we ever get over race as a primary identifier? Can't a person's character and track record be the defining points of a person?

No comments:

Post a Comment